Tuesday, September 11, 2012

reflections on the land of the free.

11 years ago today I vividly remember one of my 8th grade teachers Mrs. Lewis running down the hall and busting into our classroom and yelling "SHANE, turn on your TV...something really bad is happening."  Shane Andre was the other teacher on the team.  He was a South African exchange teacher in his late 20s.  He was teaching in the US for only a year.  He had no clue the significance of what would be one of the most memorable and significant events in history for our generation.  He shut the TV off and continued teaching.  Hours later, I got off the bus at my house only to find both of my parents in tears on the couch as they sat me and my brother down and talked about what was going on.  I've seen my dad cry twice in my life... on 9/11 and at his mother's funeral.  That was a day that will forever be burned in my memory. 

Here in the United States we are blessed beyond measure with all of the freedoms that we could ever want.  We have the freedom to do what we want [within more than reasonable limits]. We have the freedom to worship as we see fit.  We have the freedom to speak freely.  We have the freedom to vote on those who we believe will lead our nation well.  We live in a nation where dreams are supported and encouraged.  Here, in the land of the free, we are more than fortunate. 

Over the last few months we have been in a "political war" if you will.  Everywhere we look, we can see billboards, articles in magazines and newspapers, tv specials and news reports and everyone's favorite phrase "...and I approve this message."  In this "war" of sorts, I have seen people's true colors, wanted to delete Facebook 8 times at least and been so tired of the division.  That's just me.  And before I go forward, yes I do care about who wins the presidential seat, yes I do have an opinion about what's best for our nation, yes I do believe that informed politics is important, but NO, I will not engage in a war with my friends and acquaintances just to prove my point.  The truth of the matter is that our "one nation under God" was never intended by the God who created it and assigned it so many freedoms to be a nation divided over anything, especially politics.  We have to be careful, because over engaging in politics can quickly develop into us idolizing a political candidate and not honoring the God who gave us the right to vote and have a government. 

Today, however, is different.  Today we stand as one nation, not distracted and divided over discrepancies and political opinions, but united as the "one nation under God" we were created to be.  Today, although it commemorates a horrible event that forever shifted history, is a day that brings us together.  It is a day where we celebrate being connected and are thankful for our ability to be free and those that stand in battle to protect those freedoms.  Today is a day, even amidst election season, that I am truly proud to be an American.

Be grateful today for what you have been given.  Be thankful today for what you've been spared from.  Be thankful today that you live in a free nation.  Choose to use today as a day that you can love on those that need it most by setting aside your opinions and picking up gratitude and support.  Be proud to be an American today.  This is the land of the free and the home of the incredibly and sacrificially brave.

 

No comments: