Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Taking Back Tuesday: Part 2

Today is Taking Back Tuesday!  Sorry for the week-long respite...but I'm back today and thankful to be here after an eventful weekend!

Taking Back Tuesday will center around things that have been on my heart to take back. As believers, we have the authority to claim the things of God for the Kingdom of Heaven. God's word says that His will is that the Kingdom of Heaven will exist right here on Earth. So, on Tuesdays, we're going to take things back!

Part 2:  Taking Back Joy

There's strength in joy.  Joy is a choice.  If we choose joy we have the keys to happiness and strength.  We cannot expect to be content in our circumstances (however good or bad they may be) should we neglect the decsion making process of joy.  Choose joy and be empowered.  Choose joy and see life differently. 

Now, this is not to say that you are not entitled to other emotions in times of distress.  This weekend, I went whitewater rafting with all the bridesmaids during the bachelorette weekend for my sweet friend, Natalie.  While rafting, we came into a rapid too slowly and it turned our raft around a bit and myself and another bridesmaid were swept from the raft and ended up "swimming" for about 200 yards down 4 other sets of class IV rapids.  Now, by no means do I consider myself an expert on rapids, but I do think (and now know from experience) that class IV rapids are no joke.  As I was fighting to keep my head above water and inhaling more and more water with every attempt to breathe, I remember saying "Jesus help me out of this water and fast"...I had no control over the situation and the water certainly had more power than my body in that situation.  I ended up being pulled out by a rescue rope with some bruised arm bones (and a pretty cool splint) and a sinus infection being my only injuries. I came out of that situation exceedingly blessed.

Where I ended up being pulled out.

My "swim" of the day.

Today, I am joyful that I'm sitting here writing this blog.  I am joyful that I got to keep my life.  I am joyful that though that experience was beyond traumatic, I am here and (semi) healthy, but regardless I'm healthy enough to tell about it.  It might not seem like a huge deal, but being in that water, unable to breathe and completely out of control opened my eyes to my need to take back both my joy and my gratitude. 

 
Take today as a gift.  We won't always get another chance to walk in joy, so start doing it now!  Today is a blessing from the Lord; another opportuntiy to change lives with His love.  That's my challenge to you.  Let that which is on the inside of you out -- stop harboring all of your great gifts and start sharing them with others.  You're on assignment, but not by me -- GO!
 
Oh, and this is a p.s. -- Happy Birthday week to my sweet friend, Jessica!  I am thankful for your sassy, stylish, joyful, generous, truthful blessing of a life that you share with me daily!  May you always live your life with the elements of joy and surprise that this picture shows.  Love you.
 


No comments: