Sunday, March 18, 2012

the best woman i've ever known.

Every family has a matriarch.  A woman who holds the family together.  She has grace for mistakes, she walks with dignity, experiences don't get the best of her, but she triumphs through experience.  She always knows the right things to say.  She knows well and walks in the power of forgiveness.  She holds her head high, even in the worst of times, because she knows that people are looking up to her.  She is the glue, the rock and the wisdom.  She was my Grandbee.


As one of two girls in a family full of boys, I always had a special connection with my Gram.  She taught me all the things in life that a girl, a lady (as she would say), should know.  I benefitted greatly from helping her with her morning crossword and playing endless hours of cards.  She instilled in me a passion for music and loved me even when I was banging obnoxiously on the beautiful family piano.  I was mad as fire when she made me sit on the back porch and say 10 nice things about my brother just after we'd argued -- but now I see that she saw the beauty of reconciliation way before I did.  She taught me what to look for in life, to never settle for mediocrity, to pursue my dreams (even if they seemed crazy) and to always keep my standards high.  She had southern class, but most importantly, she loved the Lord with all of her heart and that love was transferred to each of us at every interaction.

You don't realize until the time has passed how precious moments are with the ones you love.  I would give lots of things to have just one more day of those porch talks, card games, and wisdom on love and life.  My Gram wiped my tears and told me it would be ok -- and I believed her, and it always was.  She was quick to tell me to straighten up, and now I see that it was always in my best interest.

She lost three children and her husband of 51 years and still kept walking.  She did it by taking one breath at a time and putting one foot in front of the other.  No matter what I'm walking through, I always remember that there's grace for broken hearts and there's power in taking your time.  From her strength I learned to be strong.  From her determination, I always remember to keep moving forward.    

From her I take the power of love.  She always loved, even until her last breath was teaching on the power of love.  She never had to use words because her life and ministry was founded and run by love.  My Gram was the best woman I've ever known, and I highly esteem her because she deserves the respect, but also because she gave me more than I could have ever dreamed or deserved, she taught me life.  From her I also take the power of encouragement.  It's always better to uplift others, even if they don't respond, and you'll always be blessed by giving of your abundance to bless other people.  

My Gram's life was legendary, and I will forever remember her in the deepest part of my heart for her life-giving ministry.  For her to be my grandmother, I am eternally grateful.


Gram, on your birthday weekend, just seven short days away from mine, I celebrate your life.  I love you the whole world and I miss you every day.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Laura! I couldn't have said it better myself! I too loved her with every part of my heart and I miss her more than I can express with words! ((((hugs)))) Love you Darlin', Aunt Michele

Anonymous said...

Deff brought a tear to my eye. She was the best. Love u :)
-jen

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! You truly have a gift for putting things into wo rds! I would say you take after me in that category! Not a day goes by that I don"t miss her (and Grandpop) tremendously. Way to go on the tribute! Well done. Good luck and God speed in Equador, baby! As always, you are in my prayers. Love you loads, Aunt Banna